Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How to improve my grammar and vocab?

Today I want to tell about how to improve our vocabulary and grammar....
First off all, kudos to you for wanting to improve yourself.

Reading is a huge help to both grammar and vocabulary. While you are reading a book, any time you see a word that you don't know, or are only a little familiar with, write it down on one of the blank pages at the back of the book. Then every evening, look those words up in the dictionary. Try to use at least one new word in a conversation every week. If you find that you like to read, I recommend joining a book club. Talking with people about a common subject, particularly a book, is a great way to practice your improving vocabulary and grammar.

A grammar class or grammar book could also be helpful, but I have to say that they are both boring and difficult. Having a friend who is willing to correct your writing or speech is much easier and more fun.

Finally, you should know that even amongst those people with extremely high vocabularies and excellent grammar skills, most people only use a limited vocabulary on a day-to-day basis. English grammar can be tricky enough that even as a professional writer, I commonly consulted my grammar book (Strunk & White). So don't be too down on yourself for your English shortcomings, because they are very common.

1 comment:

  1. i have learn grammar started from standard 1..but untill now my grammar is not good...
    thanx for your advice..but, read book is something difficult to me

    ReplyDelete